Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Our income tax rates are fair", excuse me?

From my last 2 articles, I was quoting the number of news over in Singapore rather limited until half of the page in the paper can be allocated a news about an uncle was convicted because he has not done his homework enough when asking for a professional services. With that, I decided to read some local Malaysian news, yet again.

Since I reluctant to go to JB just for buying a newspaper - travelling to JB seems challenging task for me, it takes almost 2 hours for me to travel with MRT/bus, go through the immigration & the congestion - with the newly opened CIQ complex link between the JB and the Causeway, I hardly justify to myself whether if we're upgrading or downgrading.

As an alternative, I browsed through online news and get some update especially about the residents who had to evacuate from the landslide-hit area of Bukit Antarabangsa & I glad that they have been given the green light to return home, hoping that their personal belonging still remains untouched.

When I scrolled down from the same page, I saw there's one interesting news poll, the question posted:" Are Malaysians paying too much income tax?" There were 3 answers for this question. Obviously, YES and NO but what are the third answer? Are you ready? "Our income tax rates are fair".

HOHOHO*, I couldn't help myself from stop laughing. All individuals are liable to tax on income for country development, but do we see any significant development has been done so far? I think the rate is not the main concern but this question should come later before we were questioned if the taxes are being used it accordingly to our country development". Same thing everyday like Pot hole cover missing, uneven road, bad construction of new roads like sandy/rocky tar, not to mention the landslide disaster.

Coming back to the question: “Are Malaysians paying too much income tax?" If you have no choice but to answer this question, what would be your best shot? I'm rather skeptical to answer that.

(*HOHOHO refers to Santa's laughing gesture, in conjunction with this festive season. Merry Xmas everyone!)

No comments: