Friday, January 9, 2009

Golden Years, One Citizenship

I came to know that Singapore is one of 35 countries eligible under the US Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens from eligible countries to visit the US for up to 90 days without carrying a visa. I was once in the US and I know how tedious it takes to obtain a US tourist visa - things like processing fee, online submission, long waiting list, face-to-face interview, supporting documents & etc. I believe every Malaysian that are planning to go US wish to forgo all these hassle.


Yesterday I was joking with someone, may be I should consider of taking up Singapore citizenship. However, my mindset changed right after reading the following news, and I still believe that Malaysia citizenship is still the best and not worth giving it up.


http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2009/1/8/southneast/2957098&sec=southneast


It was about a man who took almost half of his lifetime to obtain a Malaysian citizenship. He was born even before independence, went to apply for 5 times and took 52 donkey years to complete the cycle. He made it anyway. I told myself, there are absolutely no turning back should I surrender the citizenship and regret on later day. Chances are even slimmer than getting a 4D strike and if I really do, how long I can live to wait. Now I understand why many Malaysian abroad still keeping their passport, despite knowing the 'Dual-Citizenship' are illegal in Malaysia.


Last but not least, the news was concluded:" He praised the country’s strong economic performance and stability which paved the way for growth." What makes him think in such possibilities? Was he feed with the right market information? Or with something else?

No comments: