Friday, December 26, 2008

Global Language

Back in my Uni day, I was told to summit my final year dissertation in Malay language (Bahasa Melayu), although we used all sort of English reference books, we had no choice but to answer in BM during examination. It was 6 years ago.


This morning, I read TODAY paper “Writers to sue M’sian govt for switch in language”. It was about a bunch of jokers who pressure the government to stay put with BM for teaching Science & Mathematics. Please refer the following link

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/294335.asp


Seriously speaking, I like Malay more than any other language – No past tense, present tense or future tense; they are all same, easy to learn and to master, not to mention the beauty of it. Because of this, I was ‘indirectly’ given a place to pursue a degree in one of the local university. I appreciate their feelings as much as I do. It's really very good to see their respect towards our mother-tongue but we should also know the language that the world speaks. English plays an important role nowadays because of the booming industrial development and foreign investments cities & considered as the secondary language of most nations if you are looking to go broad for work or pleasure knowing the English language is most advantageous. With the current economy downturn, to secure a job without a good command of English makes it even more difficult.


If you are one of the local IT grads (major in programming), you will understand my point better.

No comments: